If your data were collected from SAFE landscapes, you should submit your datasets to the SAFE data repository. Your data will still be listed in the NERC EIDC data catalogue but, by agreement with the EIDC, all data collected at SAFE will adopt a common repository and metadata format.
If your data are not related to SAFE, you may choose to deposit data in the EIDC (NERC Data Centre) or other repositories such as ForestPlots.NET.
Please follow the following steps to deposit the data in different platforms/repositories:
For the Deposition of Data in SAFE Repository
- Please check some of the existing files to get an idea of what the formatted datasets look like: https://zenodo.org/communities/safe
- You can use the formatting guide to complete the metadata markup on your files: https://www.safeproject.net/dokuwiki/working_at_safe/data_submission_format
- Once you have got the file formatted, then submit it through the SAFE website (not Zenodo). You will need to be registered, but if you’ve worked at SAFE, you probably already are. https://www.safeproject.net/datasets/submit_dataset
- The website will automatically check the file and metadata and may send you a message detailing problems with the file. Please let us (email@example.com) know if you need any assistance on this.
- Once the file has passed checking then the Admin team will publish the checked dataset on Zenodo. If your dataset is in an Excel file, the process is now complete. If you need to use other file formats, then the metadata is still submitted as described above using an Excel file but you will need to contact SAFE (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for the data files to be uploaded.
For the Deposition of Data in EIDC/NERC Data Centre
- Please submit the following three files to the NERC HMTF Research Data Manager, Balram Dhakal at email@example.com.
1. Your completed datasets (Excel files)
- Contact Claire Wood, EIDC/CEH, firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the deposition process if Data Manager is not available.
- For further information on preparing the datasets, please check the EIDC weblink.
- You can check some of the HTMF datasets deposited in EIDC: (https://catalogue.ceh.ac.uk/documents/c1c15ef1-c5a8-4777-be71-678c571080f1)
- Once you supply the datasets along with associated metadata (three files), the Research Data Manager will forward your files/datasets to EIDC/NERC Data Centre.
- EIDC will then get back to you to arrange the Service Agreement with you, for which you need to fill in the Form.
- After completion of the Service terms and conditions, your datasets will be published online. If you are still working on your data for publication and do not want to make your datasets publicly accessible, the datasets can be embargoed for max 2 years (you can mention this while completing Service Agreement with EIDC).
- You may check some of the existing datasets to get an idea of what the published datasets look like: https://catalogue.ceh.ac.uk/eidc/documents
- If you need further support, please get in touch with NERC HMTF Research Data Manager (email@example.com)
For the Deposition of Data in other Repositories
If you would like to deposit your datasets in other repositories such as GEM and ForestPlots.NET, please contact NERC HMTF Data Manager, Balram Dhakal (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information and procedures.
As we are coming to the end of the HMTF Programme, the researchers are now required to deposit all the research data resulting from NERC grants, into designated platforms, to comply with the NERC grant requirements.
The researchers do not have to wait until the end of the project period to deposit the data; please do deposit the data as soon as you are ready. Increasing number of Journals are now looking for assigned DOI while accepting manuscripts for final publication.
If you are yet to publish your findings, NERC Policy allows you to have 2 years embargo period to allow you to work-up your data sets and publish your findings.